Happy Birthday William Eggleston
- You share with Leonard Cohen a disdain for blue jeans.
- It is a detail often mentioned in profiles of you, always with a kind of awe: He has never owned a pair of blue jeans.
- I appreciate everything about this: calling them “blue jeans” instead of just “jeans”, the slight ambiguity which settles on the choice of “owned” rather than “worn”, the fact itself.
- My girlfriend recently found an envelope with pictures of herself when she was a very small girl, in California.
- As well as the pictures themselves, she was pleased with what she had written on the envelope, all those years ago: DO NOT TUCH.
- That’s how you must feel about blue jeans, to have spent a whole life shunning them: DO NOT TUCH. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TUCHING THEM.
- You married a girl called Rosa, who I bet never wore blue jeans either. She is described, always, as a princess from Mississippi.
- Before you were married, the two of you used to drive around town in matching baby-blue Cadillacs. This is another detail that journalists cannot let go: you and the Mississippi princess with the tops down and your feet on the gas.
- That’s not Rosa though, lying down in the grass or standing at the counter with a dollar.
- That is Unknown Woman, and I would like very much to know whether you guys had sex.
- Is that bad to say? Is it exactly the wrong thing to ask of a man who has never let a pair of blue jeans touch his aristocratic Southern legs?